You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Home Blog Links Regulations Import A Car From Japan Forums Vendor Lists Buy Cars/Parts Contact

Home UserCP Memberlist Register Calendar FAQ

Go Back   JDMVIP Forums JDM Japanese Cars Import Used Auctions > Subaru > Legacy
User Name
Password
Register FAQ VB Image Host Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

What to do if buying a twin turbo legacy

Legacy

Old 10-04-2012, 08:44 PM
JDMVIP.com Veteran

Default What to do if buying a twin turbo legacy

this will apply to all the models that have twin turbos on them.

- all vacuum line in engine bay to be replaced with high quality 3.5mm or 4mm silicone line.

- clean all solenoids out and filters with carb cleaner and electrical cleaner for the solenoid box

- replace all lines in solenoid box and make sure restrictor pill is in line 2 for controlling boost also line 23 has one between turbo and tpiece

- primary turbo is on passenger side and secondary is on drivers side

- keep the stock boost controller thats in the passenger wing if u want boost to come on earlier then u can move it next to turbo by extending two wires lots of people have done this and causes the boost to hit harder and come in earlier.

- these cars like a center decat and free flowing exhaust its best to keep the cats on the downpipes as few people have had over boosting issues if doing a center decat theres a temp sensor on the cat that can just be unplugged and wont cause any issues

- if doing new downpipes best to go no bigger than 2.5 inch on primary and 3 inch on secondary

- replace oxy sensor should be bosch ls02 if i remember correctly,

- replace air filter with high flow panel filter the ways these cars intake systems are set up there actually pretty good for up to about 350hp defs no oil filters for these cars

- spark plugs should be pfr6b and pfr7b for a colder plug

- replace fuel filter

- check fuel pump hrc makes a really good one

- some of the 96 era cars can be remapped u need to know what ecu code u have and there are aftermarket ecus like prova,blitz and mines. Mines are really good i have one in my car.

- check to see if ic actuator is working and the ecv valve is working as well when in testing mode

- there are green and black connectors under dash black ones plugged in will read ur engine code so u dont need a code reader makes it easy and green together will test all solenoids and vacuum system in car

- i use 5w40 oil its good to change all the fluids-- tranny fluid,differential fluid,brake fluid,oil and engine coolant

- the jdm cars i know have a code to open the doors by pulling the drivers side handle u can put your own code in and if u want to lock door with out key u lock the door with the inside door button and when closing door lift handle up and shut door

- car should be boosting between 10-12 psi primary and 15 secondary mine is 15 and 15 do to my mods.

- run 94 oct in these cars they are meant to be running on 100 from japan our 94 is pretty close to their 100 unless u can get a remap for our fuel in canada

- youll need to drive the car for awhile to learn how to drive around the vod which is the changeover period between the primary turbo and secondary. lots of the mods i posted above will reduce these the vod on auto cars is non existent or barely there

- these cars like the stock recirc valves they have u actually make better power with keeping the stock ones lots of Subarus are like this

- turbo timer is also a good idea on these cars as they need time to cool down after pushing them hard

- if u want to be able to change the switchover rpm when secondary comes on u can buy a controller called zero sports sequential controller but installing one will make a engine code come up which is normal

- the brakes on these cars tend to need a upgrade for better brakes and rotors!!

Hope this helps atleast one person if they thinking about getting a twin turbo car they come 260hp for the auto and 280 for the manual give or take
Sponsored Links
Old 10-05-2012, 09:41 PM
JDMVIP.com Veteran

Nice man, should be a sticky post. Really helpful information
Btw what fluid do you use for your tranny and differential.
Old 10-06-2012, 12:18 AM
JDMVIP.com Veteran

tranny fluid is just oem subaru stuff its the best and diff fluid idk i havent changed mine in awhile.
Old 10-06-2012, 08:19 AM
JDMVIP.com Veteran

Send a message via Skype™ to RawRock

Thanks for these tips. My 97 GT is only sitting at 63,xxx km's so it's still behaving like a minty car. I'll be sure to bookmark this for future reference!
Old 10-06-2012, 01:24 PM
Banned

Great post for anyone looking to do any of these, they are mostly well documented, so further research can be done, this is a really helpful overview!
Sponsored Links
Old 10-06-2012, 05:11 PM
JDMVIP.com Veteran

thanks soren!
Old 10-17-2012, 02:16 PM
JDMVIP.com Veteran

Do you know what is the recommended grade of oil should we use and how much does our car take for a oil change?
Old 10-18-2012, 03:08 PM
JDMVIP.com Veteran

i use 5w40 rottella t6 and i cant help you on the capacity as i havent done it for about 3500kms im needing to mine again here soon. i think i usually buy the 5 liter jug
Old 10-18-2012, 04:23 PM
Friendly & Unbiased Moderator

This is a good post but which chassis and engine are you referring to? I can update it if you want to mention it but I'm assuming BG5 for sure and either EJ20H or EJ20R
Old 10-18-2012, 09:05 PM
JDMVIP.com Veteran

Here is a my car's info

So in my car is a EJ20R, and its a 1997
I checked on UK subaru forums and I got 4.5L is the amount we should put in.
Thanks for the answer, 5w-40 seem like the right one, also see people use
5w-30 in their engine, dont want to debate here, but seems like people have their own preferences.
Sponsored Links