You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Home Blog Links Regulations Import A Car From Japan Forums Vendor Lists Buy Cars/Parts Contact

Home UserCP Memberlist Register Calendar FAQ

Go Back   JDMVIP Forums JDM Japanese Cars Import Used Auctions > Subaru > Impreza
User Name
Password
Register FAQ VB Image Host Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

One oily spark plug

Impreza

Old 02-26-2017, 08:48 PM
JDMVIP.com Apprentice

Exclamation One oily spark plug

I pulled the spark plugs today... first time I've ever done this on a Subaru engine. Wasn't too bad with the battery and air filter box removed.

I suspect these NGK spark plugs (BKR6EIX-P) have been in this engine for a long time. Car has 140,000 km on it. I was a little disappointed to discover that the spark plug from cylinder #4 was rather oily. The sheen is noticeable on the ground electrode and on the nose of its ceramic insulator in the image below. I'm hoping this isn't an indication that major engine issues are imminent (or have already occurred).

I want to replace these with regular BKR6E spark plugs. I see that NGK has a slightly different version of this plug, BKR6EYA which is supposed to be "fouling resistant". I thought maybe this might be worthwhile to try keeping in mind that one cylinder seems to have an oil problem. Anyone have any thoughts on this? Any reason why using a "YA" plug (fouling resistant) would be a bad idea?

Last edited by Vancouver98STi : 02-26-2017 at 08:52 PM. Reason: Added question
Sponsored Links