You are Unregistered, please register to gain Full access.    
Home Blog Links Regulations Import A Car From Japan Forums Vendor Lists Buy Cars/Parts Contact

Home UserCP Memberlist Register Calendar FAQ

Go Back   JDMVIP Forums JDM Japanese Cars Import Used Auctions > Import Discussion > General Discussion
User Name
Password
Register FAQ VB Image Host Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Double-duty for a dash cam in a RHD car

General Discussion

Old 03-22-2017, 09:55 PM
JDMVIP.com Apprentice

Lightbulb Double-duty for a dash cam in a RHD car

It turns out this has been discussed previously Here and Here... but that was years ago. I'm going to splurge and start a new thread on this topic.

I'm close to insuring and driving a RHD JDM Impreza I bought a few months ago. I'm not the least bit leery of shifting with my left hand, or worried about drive-thrus etc... but I admit to being a little concerned with making left turns in busy intersections when someone across from me is doing the same thing driving in the opposite direction. Their car is in my way of seeing who's coming, even to some degree when I'm driving a regular LHD vehicle. With a RHD vehicle, the situation is much much worse. 95% of my driving is within the city of Vancouver. I find myself very often sitting in an intersection, waiting for traffic to clear so I can turn left. I don't want to be in a position where I'm continually playing Russian Roulette.

So, I'm considering getting a dash cam... and an additional monitor. The dash cam would be performing double duty. One, it would be doing what a dash cam normally does... recording everything going on in front of the car. Secondly, in it's mounted position on the far left side of the windshield, it would be supplying a live video feed through it's A/V out to a small 4.3" TFT monitor positioned somewhere in front of me on the right hand side of the car. The small monitor is not to view Canuck hockey games (especially this season!)... no, it's to better see who's coming towards me while turning left if/when my view of oncoming traffic is being compromised.

Prices have greatly dropped on this technology. I've checked into it and I figure the whole shebang could be bought from China/Hong Kong (through eBay) for about $50(US). Yes, seriously... and that's for a dash cam with 1080P resolution!

Has anyone else done this, and if so... how well has it worked out?

Last edited by Vancouver98STi : 03-22-2017 at 09:57 PM. Reason: Spelling
Sponsored Links
Old 03-23-2017, 10:25 PM
Friendly & Unbiased Moderator

There has been lots of talk about this but I haven't heard or seen any live examples. Be our tester please . Honestly it sounds like a potentially helpful idea as long as you are aware of blind spots which is my only worry about using one.
Old 03-23-2017, 11:32 PM
JDMVIP.com Apprentice

Lightbulb I can't believe no one's actually done this...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdmvip View Post

...it sounds like a potentially helpful idea as long as you are aware of blind spots which is my only worry about using one.
Believe me, I won't be relying on just the camera and monitor when I'm driving.

Even today while I was driving my trusty Fiero, I noticed how many times I was turning left in busy intersections... and realized how difficult it would be to see who was coming if I was sitting a few feet over to the right hand side.

I've basically decided on the dash cam I wish to use. It's just a matter now of finding the best priced version of it on eBay that's not a low grade fake with inferior components. I haven't quite decided on the size of a monitor yet. I don't know if a 4.3" one is sufficient, or if I actually need up to a 7" one to see oncoming cars clearly enough. It might be a somewhat of challenge to fit a larger monitor in a location where it's easily seen by me, but doesn't seem obtrusive.

I'll keep you apprised of my progress.
Old 03-25-2017, 08:42 PM
JDMVIP.com Veteran

It's a good idea, I had started to look into something similar when I was looking into RHD @10yrs ago, I wanted to find a slim camera I could attach to mirror, then screen inside, I never did find what I was looking for back then, and when I finally got into RHD, I've primarily had SUV's, so sit higher and could see across, but I did have a lowered Aristo, that was hard to see, but I knew if I was going, I had the power to move me instantly :P, if I thought it would be dicey, I waited, sure people behind me would get pissed sometimes, but, I go when I know I could go

As for the screen to view, a 4.3 should be enough, as it is the quality of the video feed thats more important, bad cam= doesnt matter if its a 4" screen or 80".. it will show crappy

Last edited by Nukes25 : 03-25-2017 at 08:45 PM.
Old 03-25-2017, 11:52 PM
JDMVIP.com Apprentice

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nukes25 View Post

It's a good idea, I had started to look into something similar when I was looking into RHD @10yrs ago, I wanted to find a slim camera I could attach to mirror, then screen inside, I never did find what I was looking for back then...
It a good news/good news situation... as over the last decade, the technology has advanced, and the prices have plummeted!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nukes25 View Post

As for the screen to view, a 4.3 should be enough, as it is the quality of the video feed thats more important, bad cam= doesnt matter if its a 4" screen or 80".. it will show crappy.
Well... yes and no. With inexpensive dash cams now being capable of 1080P, the image quality is superb. (I'll probably get a G1W-C.) The problem, as I see it, is that the lenses are so wide-angled (in order to take in a wide perspective). The unfortunate result is that everything in the distance shows up as being rather small. I suspect that a 4.3" screen just won't be large enough to quickly see what needs to be seen. It's not that much more expensive to get a 7" screen (800x480), and objects/oncoming cars will basically be displayed twice as large, so that's the route I'll go.

I believe I've found a decent location to mount the monitor as well. With the lid removed here... a lowered flat surface presents itself. This should be a good spot for the monitor base to hunker down in and be anchored.

Last edited by Vancouver98STi : 03-26-2017 at 12:03 AM. Reason: Added info
Sponsored Links
Old 03-26-2017, 01:37 PM
JDMVIP.com Apprentice

Smile We'll see what happens...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vancouver98STi View Post

I'll probably get a G1W-C.
I pulled the pin and ordered one of these dash cams today. The price was so low, that I suspect it's a fake. I included the following message to the vendor with my PayPal payment...

"Important: If this item is not a genuine G1W-C dash cam with a NT96650 processor and Aptina AR0330 image sensor as stated in your listing, I will contact eBay and instruct PayPal to refund my purchase."

If it's a fake model with inferior components, I'll first put in a request to PayPal for a refund. If for some reason that doesn't work, I'll then ask my credit card company to do a chargeback. But hey, I'm hoping this G1W-C is the real thing!

Another review of this dash cam is Here.

Last edited by Vancouver98STi : 03-26-2017 at 01:55 PM. Reason: Added info
Sponsored Links